Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)Author: Suzanne Collins

Award:  The New York Times Best Seller

Katness and Peeta are fighting for their life.  They live in a world that is beyond ours.  Where the United States 'used to be'.  Peeta was chosen at random to fight in the games, to be a 'saviour' of sorts for his district.  Katness however was not chosen, she took the place of her sister, and fought in her place.  I enjoyed this book.  Yes, it is sadistic, disgusting and brutal, but it makes me think back to when I was younger, there was a movie out called "Lottery".  I always wanted to win the lottery, but instead of winning money, or fame, the winner was stoned to death.  The Hunger Games kind of reminded me of this movie.  Instead of winning food, rations and fame for their district, they lost 2 of their own.  They were forced to fight to the death in hopes of rewards in the end. 

After reading this book, I was very surprised to think I found it in our elementary school library.  In fact there were a couple copies as well as the other books in the series.  I guess because of it's graphic details.  I have not read the other books as of yet, but will in the near future to find out how they are as well.

Collins, S. (2008). The hunger games. New York: Scholastic.

ISBN: 9780439023528

No comments:

Post a Comment